The Digital Bohemian – A.k.a Twittus machina
Kay Starr – Wheel of Fortune
1. Twitter shorthand brain waves – all thoughts formulated in 140 characters or less
2. Wood Wood t-shirt: hip enough to not be unfashionable, not hip enough to be fashion
3. Coaster from late-night coding session at local bar, covered in brainstorm notes for new Tumblr blog (e.g. “Hipster or Crazy Person?”)
4. MacBook Pro, 17” (aka. “my other half”)
5. Touchscreen typing speed: 65 words per minute (text auto-filler off)
6. iPhone 4 case made from repurposed, recycled bicycle inner tube
7. Framed photo of hero, Steve Jobs
8. Lifetime subscription to Creative Review magazine
9. Own shade-grown Ethiopian Yirgacheffe, sneaked in from home due to inferiority of café’s blend
10. Headphones for listening to friend-made podcasts on [insert techy subject here]
Whenever possible, the Digital Bohemian only visits establishments registered on Four Square. Digital Bohemians flock to cafés with good wireless signals and lax drink-purchasing policies and can often be found at such places en masse, silently huddled around their MacBooks.
The Digital Bohemian works for, with, on, because of, and over the internet. His profession defies easy categorisation, but can be summed up with such keywords as: #social network marketing optimisation, #programming, #creative digital solutions, #Tweet dissemination, #blog monetisation.
The Digital Bohemian prefers liquid sustenance suited for hands-free consumption such as smoothies, soups or third wave coffee sucked through a straw, allowing all 10 fingers to remain free for the keyboard.
Though Digital Bohemians pay steeply for a super high-speed DSL connection at home and in their co-working shared office space, they have a curious compulsion to use the computer in public as often as possible in order to maximise gadget exposure time.
The Digital Bohemian is holding out for a partner who can understand that their “other half” (see no. 4 above) will always come first, and gets priority for the prime spot in the bed at night. Dream date: hooking up after attending a live Apple keynote presentation.